Tuesday, April 10, 2007





We travelled north to Johor, Malaysia over the Good Friday holidays. An hour's boat ride from Singapore's east coast on a warm Thursday afternoon, got us to an old secluded boating resort by a large river. It was three days of close living and papa had the exclusive honor of feeding, bathing and changing me. I am happy to report that we survived! I was also glad that he was fully occupied with caring for me- it was a necessary distraction from those significantly sad few days. As it turned out, we had a rather lazy few days eating, sleeping and swimming. I was given my first taste of Malaysian water too! Swimming pool water that is. Papa gave me my first dunking underwater. It was fun, but the water did taste funny. My aunties and uncles that accompanied us on the holiday helped papa to celebrate my birthday with an alfresco candle-lit dinner by the river side. There was even a cake with my name on it. After dinner, we launched paper boats with candles in them onto the still dark river. It was a symbolic gesture in remembrance of mummy, hoping that our love represented by the bright candles would find her somewhere along the dark rivers of eternity.

I have also recently had my twelve month checkup with Uncle Simon. He was generally pleased with my progress, and even though I still haven't learned to walk yet, he is optimistic that I will get there in due course. I now weigh 8.4kg and stand 77cm tall. No jabs this time around, but there will be at least two coming up in three months time. I am praying that I will have learned to run by then! Everyone says that I am starting to be more assertive lately. I can whinge and whine with the best of them and am very focussed about what I want. I can even play hide and seek using my blanket with the people around me. No wonder papa is looking increasingly exhausted around me. Mummy, I pray that you are safe and surrounded by the warmth of love just as I am. Where ever you may be.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:32 PM

    good to hear that evan is developing well. what a relief! sorry we missed all your important dates on the 1st week of april as we were away for 2 weeks.
    glad u had a ball of a time on your 1st b'day party and your holiday over the good fri weekend.
    well done colin and you take care too!

    ReplyDelete