Thursday, November 09, 2006





Day 218 (Thursday 9th November 2006): Papa says that he had the wind knocked out of his sails on Thursday. That was the day we went to visit Dr Phua. He's one of the doctors looking over me. The problem was with my 'gross motor skills'. I presumed he was referring to my inability to sit up by myself. Although he did also mention something about the tone of my muscles needing to be strengthened. What ever it was, papa looked a little worried after the visit- the stress lines on his forehead gave him away. He looked a little demoralised and sad for the rest of the day. Dr Phua had said that my physical development was a little delayed and that meant that I needed more consistent physical stimulation. Papa has started me on more frequent daily exercise sessions at home. He says I will also need to increase the visits to the physiotherapist at Mount Alvernia Hospital. He is also looking out for other therapists who may be able to help me better. I can already feel my body aching from all his planning *sigh*. But I have promised him that I will work harder and keep on fighting. I pray that mummy will give me the strength and good fortune that I need to help me along this rocky road.

An old friend of my mummy who lives in the USA has written to papa to say that she will be buying the 'Bumbo' chair for me. Thanks to Aunty Sharon! She is coming back to Singapore for a holiday at the end of this month. The chair is the one introduced to papa by a very kind person in the USA- Alisha. The chair is supposed to help me strengthen my back muscles and train me to sit up by myself. Thank you Alisha too! Papa is only concerned that I will be squirming out of it more than sitting in it. You will all get to hear more about my exploits on the Bumbo soon!

I got to meet mummy's cousin from Perth on Wednesday. Aunty May and her husband Uncle Tao were here on a working holiday. They are both doctors and Uncle Tao was attending a conference here in Singapore. They are both very warm and personable people. Papa last met them on his holiday to Perth with mummy four to five years ago. Papa said that it brought back happy memories with mummy. It was one of their most enjoyable holidays to Australia. They had made the trip with Uncle Kek and Aunty Ai Chun. The highlight of their holiday was the week they had spent along the Margaret River. They drank themselves silly with wine. Added together with the tree climbing, cave adventures and whale gawking, they came home in very high spirits indeed. I want to wish Aunty May and Uncle Tao a safe trip home. I am hoping to meet my cousins there one day soon.

We celebrated a long train of birthdays for the following people over the past couple of weeks: Aunty Sunita, Uncle Terrence Teo, Father Keane, Uncle Chris, Emma, Uncle Adrian Chong, Aunty Ai Chun, Andrew Lim, Christian and cousins Michael and Joe in Australia! *gasp* Last and most of all, my Grandpa Larry celebrated his birthday last week. May they all live healthy and contented lives.

Mummy, time seems to make your absence louder. No less than when we prayed and cried for you during All Souls Day last week. We all miss you plenty. I wish you were here to help papa fight for me. He could do with the help sometimes. It is an exhausting journey and he misses the times he had your shoulder to lean on and the intimacy of your company to cry with. Please touch him with your radiance and help bring peace to his soul. Love you lots mummy.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:43 AM

    colin, there is an ABR (http://www.blyum.com/) talk here in sin on 9th dec (foc) after which you can register for evan to be assessed by Mr Blyum for S$50. you can read abt Danial's development with ABR on his blog http://www.parentsphere.com/user/danialwan/
    under the catergory ABR.
    i hope you will consider this coz we have done PT for 1 yr but it didn't help. if you need more info pls write to me ptely. take care.

    ReplyDelete