Saturday, October 07, 2006

Six months have passed by so quickly my dear,
It's almost like yesterday that we were parted,
But for the sleepless nights and the bitter tears,
The memories of those last few moments together
As we waited in the delivery room for the birth of our child,
Nine months of stoical tolerance to your expanding womb,
You were glad that baby would be with us not a moment too soon,
Your body wracked by the aches and pains tempered by love like no other,
Still wondering if it was to be a boy or girl with glee,
Minutes before the fateful turn of the clock at three,
I still remember the soft caress of your supple hands,
The liveliness of your fingers intertwined with mine,
Never to imagine it was to be our very last embrace,
The very last of your warmth that I was ever to feel again,
As I tried to reassure you in between the labour pangs,
That everything was going to be alright,
How wrong I was to be, how much terror was to come that night,
The suddeness of the physical assault left us stunned as can be,
One moment you were there, the next you were but a blue angel set free,
Did you hear my cries of anguish as you left us, the pleas of pain,
The supplication of a distraught husband and father to be, so insane,
Prostrate before the God he knew not, sobbing on your face so cold,
In futile petition I offered your salvation for my soul,
Only to have it fall so cruelly on deaf ears,
Tormented by the vestige of your contorted countenance,
I fell into a dreamstate that I have yet to be woken from,
Could our journey have come to such an abrupt end,
And what of our little one whom you have left behind,
The nurturing that we had so passionately planned,
The project of a lifetime we were meant to share,
Six months since, and the wounds have no feeling,
As raw as the day they were hewn
A separation in time that has had no meaning,

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:59 PM

    Hello. I came by this blog thru the IJ basketball event in memory of Frances. I'm so sorry for your loss. Evan is a beautiful child. I hope you will heal quickly. Evan's blog is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete