Wednesday, June 07, 2006





Dearest Evan...

"I wish I had the words to describe the loss I feel; unfortunately I have never been a great communicator. I will share with you, Evan, as best as I can but I am not sure if I can do justice to this special relationship your mother and I had. Frances and I started our friendship at a church camp and from that time on it was as if our lives were destined to cross. We shared the same school, church, workplace and many of the same friends. Most of all, we shared many similar interests. This shared spirit meant that we often ended up doing things together. I even attempted to sing in your mum’s choir at Church events. I think she was very kind to have invited me as I don’t think I would have been invited to any other choir. I have always presumed that your mummy would one day teach my children to play the piano. But alas that is never to be. We took tennis lessons together, learned to dive, took up water skiing, and for a time, we used to go for dance classes alot together. We hung out so much, that between the two of us, we used to joke that her nickname “CC” meant "Constant Companion".

In the last days, I was very fortunate to have spent every day with her, starting with her birthday dinner on the 2nd of April. I am deeply grateful for all the time I got to spend with her ever since I got back from the USA. I had been away for many years. But we picked up from where we left off, and we were playing tennis regularly once a week, with your dad too, until she was about two months pregnant with you. She was certain she would be back on the courts a month or so after you were born and we joked about her ability to do that. I know I have been very lucky to have had so much time with her, but we had so much more planned. Where are you Frances? Weren’t we supposed to grow old together? I love you and miss you so much."

Love always,
'Godma' Germaine

No comments:

Post a Comment