Friday, June 30, 2006





My dearest darling Frances,
I awake reluctantly each morning

To another day without you,

My heart skips a beat,
My mind clouded by the fog of sleep,

Eyes darting around the room,
Searching for a hint of you,

Listening for your voice,

For that familiar shuffle of the feet,

Waiting for your scent to drift across,

But callous reality is all I get to meet

Confronting me with your impossible loss.


Fatigue has set in my love,

Grieving is like a perpetual fight,

Seventy seven tormentful days
Multiplied by equally empty nights
Exhaustion has finally overtaken me,
My body wracked by the flu,

I surrender to the depradation of time

Crumpled into a heap of weary bones,

Paralysed by the mist of mourning,

My heavy eyes and aching head

Beg to submit to the siren of sleep,
Tempting me to never awake again,

Promising me that I can forever keep

Those carefree memories of you alive,

A land where we never again have to weep,
Reunited as one soul in two bodies side by side.

Will you still be there in my mind when I awake,

Your youthful splendour frozen in time,

Will you still remember me when I am old,

That familiar smile and craggy lips gone cold,

Will you recognise my swollen eyes,

Distorted with the tears that never run dry,

What I wonder will be left,

When all's been done and said

When my spine starts to fold,

And my mind starts to fade,

Promise you will be there,
After my story has been told,

And my mortal self has grown cold,

To free me from my eternal now

And take me back in your arms,

To reunite us somehow

Along pristine shores and white sands

Where the ocean blue waters embrace us as one again.

-ColinO.sg

No comments:

Post a Comment