Friday, June 09, 2006






To my dearest Godson Evan,

It has taken me a long while to put my thoughts to paper. There is just so much to say about your dear mummy that I just didn’t know where to start.
Your mummy’s friendship with me goes back many, many years. She was my ‘oldest’ friend, my dearest friend, my music friend, and most of all my BEST FRIEND. I got to know her when I was about 2 years old. I used to go over to her house for play-dates when I was little, and when I was 5, started piano lessons with my Godma (your grandmother). Even though we never attended the same school, we still got to see each other every week.

Even though we were different in some ways (your mummy was such a sportswoman- I wasn’t! Your mummy was a great mathematician- I wasn’t. I failed my Math in Primary 2), we got on fantastically with each other. I think our love and passion for music was what we held very close to our hearts. Looking back, I have Aunty Germaine to thank as she was instrumental in introducing me to the Catholic faith. It was through Aunty Germaine that I started attending catechism at St Ignatius church, where I was baptized in 1983. After returning from England in 1991, your mummy asked me to join her choir as a pianist. This partnership of glorious music making in praise of God was to last just 14 years. Your mummy was a talented pianist, violinist, singer and well-respected conductor. She had such a natural flair for conducting and was a joy to work with. She had respect for every single member of the choir and was extremely patient in teaching those who had difficulty learning their notes. Your mummy even went to the extent of recording her singing on DVDs so that the choir could learn the correct parts. These are the CDs of her singing that your daddy has been playing to you and which you enjoy listening to. Evan, since your mummy left us, I just haven’t had the strength to return to making music in church again. We had a special ‘chemistry’ and we just knew what each of us wanted out of the music and of each other. It saddens me to think that I will no longer be able to share this special relationship with her, but at the same time, am certain that she is filling the heavens with her beautiful music.


Your mummy and I became even closer over the last 15 years , and we spent much time together. She was the first friend I would call if ever I had anything to share or if I had anything bothering me. I even called her to help me solve Andrea’s math problems!! Some days, I still pick up the phone wanting to talk to her !!


Your mummy was so special. She was the only friend my parents allowed me to go on holiday with when I was younger. Your mummy, daddy, Uncle YP and I have also spent many holidays together. We loved shopping and eating in Bangkok most of all. It was funny as we often ended up liking the same things whenever we went shopping. We had so many similar pieces of clothing that it was amazing we did not end up wearing an identical outfit on the same occasion.

I can’t tell you the joy and happiness I felt when your mummy told me over the phone whilst we were in Cleveland that she was pregnant. This was what she had been looking forward to for so many years. In fact, the news about your mummy’s pregnancy came a month after your mummy and daddy had visited Uncle YP, Andrea, Andrew, Alex, Ariana and I in the US. We were literally jumping for joy!! I felt privileged when your mummy asked me to be Godma of her baby, but at the same time was disappointed that I may not be back in Singapore to attend the baptism. You know what? She told me not to worry.


By God’s grace, our family returned to Singapore much sooner than we had expected as Uncle YP’s boss wanted him back at work here. I was initially disappointed that we had to leave the US so soon, but at the same time was excited to see your mummy in her glowing state. She was beautiful when she met us at the airport. Can you believe she got up at 5.30am just to meet us there? I am thankful that we got to spend some time together catching up and celebrating her 40th birthday. I wouldn’t know what I would have done or how I would have coped if I had remained on in the US.


Evan, I miss your mummy soooooooooo much. I only wish that she could be here to hold you, cuddle you, love you and teach you to be as good a musician as she was. I know I have an immense responsibility to fulfill as your Godma, and I will do my best to be the Godma that your mummy wanted me to be.

I am sure your mummy will be guiding us in every step we take, and will see us through any hurdles we may have to cross. I know, because that was the way I have always known her to be. Trust her.
I love you, Cici.


With Much love from your Godma,
Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment