Wednesday, June 14, 2006




My dear Evan

It’s been hard to start writing to you about your mummy. When I started to think about what to write, I was overcome with tears. I could not understand why I was crying. Perhaps it was because I was watching this very beautiful clip: http://www.mayyoubeblessedmovie.com. Whatever the reason, it was a good release for me and I can only think that it was God’s hand working in mysterious ways.

Where do I begin? Your mummy first entered my life when I came to your grandma Dot for piano lessons. All I remember of her was that she was a really small kid. When we were young, age difference counted a lot! Despite this rather large age difference, when we were all grown up, we hit it off like lamb and mint sauce.

I remember the times we went on holiday together – too few really. I had a wonderful time with your mummy and Uncle Nick when we visited Fr Keane in Ireland. It was one of the best holidays I had ever had. It was a driving holiday and we had a few good bright sunny days in the emerald isle, singing as we drove along “It’s a long way to Tipperary” and “On top of the world” when Uncle Nick bumped his head against the roof of the car as we drove too fast over a hump!

Your mummy always had such a wonderful youthful look that she never lost. I remember when we were holidaying in Penang, one of the friendly Penangites (?!) thought she was my daughter! She was extremely pleased and I can still remember the impish satisfied look on her face. As for my reaction, I was not pleased!!

She glowed so much when she was pregnant and I could see she was truly happy. I had very intensive quality time with your mummy in her last month of pregnancy. I was not working and she was teaching part-time. We went shopping for baby things, gallivanting all over Orchard Road mainly. We spent much time eating our one dollar treats at Delifrance and Dome. She was hungry ever so often, but in Singapore, you’re never far from food!

I have wonderful memories of our times in church and in the choir, and I will always remember her saying “Altos – you’re flat!” We could never get pass her sharp ears!

On the tennis court, she was quite the athlete, despite the bandaged knee that kept it from popping out!

Evan, your mummy was a dear and wonderful friend, and I miss her very much. And through her, I have made many wonderful friends too. Her influence is far reaching and the mind boggles at how many lives she has touched.

It is hard for you not knowing your mummy at all but I am sure you must know her subconsciously during all those nine months. I remember on the day before you were born, she was sitting on my sofa and saying to you “Come out! Come out!” as she lovingly rubbed her tummy. Keep smiling dear Evan, for there is a lot of love around you.

With much love
Auntie Mamie

13 June 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment