Sunday, April 23, 2006


Anguish
by Kirsti A. Dyer
It begins as an affliction
in the center of my soul.
A scarcely detectable awareness.
A hungry gnawing sensation.

The feeling emerges
slowly at first.
Barely perceptible.
A constant ache.

It begins to permeate,
radiating to all levels
from core to periphery.
Filling with agony and grief.

My hands begin to tremble
in reaction to the pain.
I scream in anguish
for it to stop.

It spreads, enlarging
becoming all-consuming, ravaging.
Distilled to a searing, burning sensation.
Bowels turning...tearing.
Heart pounding...shattering.

The break point is reached,
I can endure no more.
Tears of anguish flow.
Sobs of grief,
Releasing some of the torment.

The pain subsides,
but still lingers.
Barely perceptible.
Never abating.
Never leaving.
Ever present.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:23 PM

    Dear Colin,
    I know there is nothing much I can say to lessen your pain, but just know that we are praying for you.

    Love, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:23 PM

    Dear Evan,

    I am very touched that Papa remembered Grand Uncle Sebastian's birthday. When we were in Singapore in August 2005, Papa and Mummy told us that you would be joining the family in April 2006. Everyone at the party was delighted at the good news. Grand Uncle Sebastian was really looking forward to holding you in his arms, but God called him and he had to go. He loved your mummy very much and I am sure they will be very happy to take care of you from where they are.

    All my love to you and Papa.

    ReplyDelete