Sunday, April 16, 2006

A Shadow On My Shoulder

-by Brenda Penepent

There’s a shadow on my shoulder
That steals parts of my soul;
Bit by bit it takes my energy.
Never leaving me alone.
Oh, at first I tried to fight it.
I resisted it for years
Until the emptiness inside me
drove me crazy with my fears.
At times, I have embraced it;
For the comfort of my grief
Had become so familiar
I could not envision a release.
Like a cloud of empty promises
It covers me in gray.
Numbing me with sadness.
Draining color from my day.
The shadow of depression
Lurks dark upon my soul.
My wall of pain is standing tall
While I shiver in the cold.

When A Loved One Dies

-by Leon Knight

Poetry is the process
of cleansing my wound,
the tweezers
for removing
grains of sand
inbedded in my skin.

Poetry is antiseptic
painfully applied
before the wound festers
salve rubbed in
fear of infection.

Poetry is the stiching clamp
held between my teeth,
the pain killer
so I can sleep.

Poetry is acceptance
of future scars,
and aches on foggy nights.

Poetry is a way of surviving
when a loved one dies.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:41 AM

    Col,

    Our contribution in an attempt to cheer you up!

    Trees
    by Joyce Kilmer

    (For Mrs. Henry Mills Alden)

    I think that I shall never see
    A poem lovely as a tree.

    A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
    Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

    A tree that looks at God all day,
    And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

    A tree that may in Summer wear
    A nest of robins in her hair;

    Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
    Who intimately lives with rain.

    Poems are made by fools like me,
    But only God can make a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:43 PM

    Col and Evan,

    You know that I am only a phone call away. And my house is your refuge anytime, if that is what you need - it and my love and friendship for you three, can be anything you need or want.

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:30 PM

    Dear Colin

    Please give Evan a hug from me. When I am a little better, I would love to hold him in my arms.
    Thank you for sharing Evan with us.

    Just looking at little Evan fills me with such joy.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete