Thursday, August 24, 2006

I loved her like the leaves,
The lush green leaves of spring
That pulled down the willows
on the bank's edge
where we walked
while she was of this world.
I built my life on her.
But man cannot flout
the laws of this world.
To the shimmering wide fields hidden by the white cloud,
white as white silk scarf
she soared away like the morning bird,
hid from our world like the setting sun.
The child, the gift she left behind- he cries for food; but always
finding nothing that I might give him,
I pick him up and hold him in my arms.
On the pillows where we lay,
My wife and I, as one,
I pass the daylight lonely till the dusk,
the black night sighing till the dawn.
I grieve and grieve and know no remedy.
I ache and know no road where I might meet her.

- Kakinomoto Hitomaro

(Japan, 7th century)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:02 PM

    Hi Colin,

    Evan is growing quickly. He certainly is the gift that Frances left behind. The 7th century poetry certainly resonates. It is a beautiful piece of work.

    Thinking of you always at this difficult time. The kids and I say a special prayer for you, Frances and Evan when we go to church on Sundays. Take one day at a time.

    God bless
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:23 AM

    evan looks so peaceful when he sleeps. his cheeks getting chubbier too :)

    ReplyDelete