Wednesday, April 12, 2006


DAY 7: Evan's body temperature was stable today, though the neonatologist, Dr Simon Ng, did say that the results of the previous day's blood test did reveal the presence of an infection of some sort ("Gram +ve cocci"). Dr Ng is uncertain of the source of the infection, and speculates that it may either be a skin infection or something that is circulating in the blood. A repeat blood test has been carried out today to learn more.

Evan's breathing has also not been as stable as we would like it to be. He was put back on the oxygen tent last night as there were episodes of shallow breathing. He is not in immediate danger, but this is obviously a factor that will determine if they let him out of the ICU anytime soon.

He continues to lap up the milk that is being fed to him in increasing amounts. As of this morning, his milk volume has been increased to 24-27ml every 3 hrs. He does continue to require the gastric tube for feeds at the moment. This is in part due to his erratic breathing performance, which they do not want to overload should he be stimulated to swallow milk at the same time.

I did manage to cradle him again this morning, and he did open his eyes for a short while after his feed. We have also introduced background music for Evan via an MP3 player and some external speakers. The music includes much of Frances' church music and singing, as well as some of the Mozart music that was being played to him while she was still pregnant.

Today also marks the sad departure of Nurse Shirley Xie, who has come to love Evan as one of her own. She leaves for a private nursing career. Evan will miss her much.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:15 PM

    Dear Colin,

    we all think Even Gabriel is beautiful. I'm looking forward to meeting him when I visit S'pore next week.

    Cheers!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:17 PM

    woops sorry for the typo in my excitement ... EVAN Gabriel, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:26 PM

    Dear Baby Evan and Daddy Colin

    You two are doing extremely well in these difficult times. Keep it up!
    A mummy and a 2 year old baby are praying for you every night in London as well.

    And just a little poem which I have adapted to cheer you up a little.

    Amanda


    I Miss My Mummy
    (Adapted from “What makes a Mother”)

    I thought of my mummy and closed my eyes
    And prayed to God today
    “I miss my mummy.”
    And I know I heard Him say
    Your mummy’s love stays with you always
    But, God, can my mummy love me
    When she is not here with me?

    Yes, she can he replied
    With confidence in his voice
    I give mummy to every baby
    When they leave it is not their choice
    Some I send for a lifetime
    And others for the day
    Some I send to nurture the baby in their womb
    But there’s no need to stay

    I just don’t understand this God
    I want my mummy here

    He took a breath
    And cleared his throat
    And then I saw a tear…
    I wish I could show you
    What your mummy is doing today
    If you could see your mommy smile
    With other mummies and say
    “We go to earth to learn our lessons
    of love and life and fear
    I have grown to love my baby so much
    Over the time he lives in my womb
    I got to come straight to heaven
    To be surrounded by angels
    Who remind me of my beloved baby Evan
    I feel so lucky to have a baby whom I love so much
    I learned my lessons very quickly
    My baby set me free

    I miss my baby oh so much
    But I visit him each day
    When he goes to sleep
    On his pillows where I lay
    I stroke his hair and kiss his cheek
    And whisper in his ear
    Baby don’t be sad today
    I’m your mummy and I am here”

    So you see my dear sweet one
    Your mummy is okay
    Your mummy is here in My home
    But her love for you will always stay
    She’ll wait for you with Me
    Until your lessons are through
    And on the day you come home
    She’ll be at the gates for you

    So now you see
    Your mummy loves you so
    You can feel it in your heart
    It’s the love she had so much of
    Right from the very start
    Though some on earth
    May not realize
    Until their time is done
    Remember she gave you all her love
    And know that you have
    A Special Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:34 PM

    Just to leave in His dear hand
    Little things;
    All we cannot understand,
    All that stings.
    Just to let Him take the care
    Sorely pressing,
    Finding all we let Him bear
    Changed to blessing.


    Dear Evan

    You are so precious - God has a wonderful plan for your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:30 PM

    Dear Evan
    May GOD bless you and daddy specially.

    We wrote this limerick for you.(Sorry, we're not very good)

    There once was a baby from Mt. A.
    Who drank his milk everyday.
    He began to smile
    For a long while
    Soon he'll be yelling away!

    HeHeHe!

    ReplyDelete